Sunday, May 21, 2017

God knows what each one of us is dealing with. He knows our pressures. He knows our conflicts. And He has made a provision for each and every one of them. That provision is Himself in the person of the Holy Spirit, indwelling us and empowering us to respond rightly.


“Without the Spirit we can neither love God nor keep His commandments.” – St Augustine: (354 – 430: was an early Christian theologian and philosopher whose writings influenced the development of Western Christianity and Western philosophy)

Gospel Text: (JN 14:15-21)
Jesus said to his disciples:
"If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
And I will ask the Father,
and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always,
the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept,
because it neither sees nor knows him.
But you know him, because he remains with you,
and will be in you.
I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
In a little while the world will no longer see me,
but you will see me, because I live and you will live.
On that day you will realize that I am in my Father
and you are in me and I in you.
Whoever has my commandments and observes them
is the one who loves me.
And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father,
and I will love him and reveal myself to him."

The Holy Spirit, like the ligaments that hold parts of our physical bodies together, binds us together, to make us one body in Christ. Even when we are separated from our loved ones by great distances, or even by death itself, the Holy Spirit sustains our relationships.

The Body of Christ cannot be diminished or destroyed by distance or death.

The Holy Spirit helps us love others even when it is difficult to do so. Everyone around us is an important part of our spiritual life, whether we want them to be or not. Everyone plays a part in our journey on the Way of Christ Jesus. Sometimes that Way is narrow. Sometimes it demands reconciliation. The Holy Spirit is not interested in “cheap love”. The Holy Spirit leads us into the sort of love that led Jesus to Calvary: the sort of love which allowed Christ to embrace the Cross as His Father’s gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment