Friday, December 16, 2016

“Being a Christian is about living an inviting example.”


“If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see.” ― Henry David Thoreau: (1817 –1862: was an American essayist, poet, & philosopher)

Gospel Text: (JN 5:33-36)
Jesus said to the Jews:
“You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth.
I do not accept testimony from a human being,
but I say this so that you may be saved.
John was a burning and shining lamp,
and for a while you were content to rejoice in his light.
But I have testimony greater than John’s.
The works that the Father gave me to accomplish,
these works that I perform testify on my behalf
that the Father has sent me.”

In the Gospel Jesus says that the works he performs are themselves testimony that God has sent him. What are the works that we are called to accomplish? How can we, who seek to be good and loving people, name and further the cause of justice? Christmas, perhaps, is a beautiful gift wrapped in a question: am I observing rightly; am I acting justly?

No comments:

Post a Comment