Tuesday, July 3, 2018

“We live in a culture that has, for centuries now, cultivated the idea that the skeptical person is always smarter than one who believes. You can almost be as stupid as a cabbage as long as you doubt.”


“Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.” ― William ShakespeareMeasure for Measure

Gospel Text: (JN 20:24-29)
Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve,
was not with them when Jesus came.
So the other disciples said to him, "We have seen the Lord."
But Thomas said to them,
"Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands
and put my finger into the nailmarks
and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."
Now a week later his disciples were again inside
and Thomas was with them.
Jesus came, although the doors were locked,
and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you."
Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands,
and bring your hand and put it into my side,
and do not be unbelieving, but believe."
Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and my God!"
Jesus said to him, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me?
Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed."

Despite the witness of the other apostles, Thomas lacked faith. We too are very much like him, especially in times of great trial and suffering, We feel that the Lord has abandoned us. However, it is precisely in those low moments that we should experience the saving power of the risen Lord. It is in those moments that we discover the light of Christ in the midst of our darkness. Confronted by the risen Christ, Thomas can only profess his faith, "You are my Lord and my God."

This conversion from doubt and disbelief to true faith propelled St. Thomas to the ends of the earth to preach the Good News. According to tradition he reached India to found what are known as the St. Thomas Christians.

Faith is lived and shown when we do good deeds for others, like St. Thomas, the great Apostle and Evangelizer for Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment