Thursday, July 19, 2018

Following Jesus is easy when life runs smoothly; our true commitment to Him is revealed during trials. Jesus assured us that trials will come to His followers (John 16:33). Discipleship demands sacrifice, and Jesus never hid that cost.


God gives us what we can bear, and no more… If you believe that God wants only our good, you will stay perfectly happy. Be comforted in Christ crucified, and don’t be afraid. – St. Catherine of Siena: (1347 – 1380: She is declared a saint and a doctor of the Church.)

Gospel Text: (MT 11:28-30)
Jesus said:
"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

Our Lord Jesus asks that we reflect on the question of whom we serve in our lives. Performing duties only for duties’ sake leads to great weariness. To carry out our obligations in order that another might have life and might be drawn closer to God: this is where we find rest, even in the midst of the workday. The yoke of the Cross is the virtue of love, the greatest virtue, by which we recognize the truth of Isaiah’s prophecy that it is the Lord who has accomplished all we have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment