Tuesday, August 25, 2026

“In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world”


Today at Holy Mass in the first reading St Paul instructs his friends…..Do not get distracted…”We ask you, brothers and sisters, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our assembling with him, not to be shaken out of your minds suddenly, or to be alarmed either by a “spirit,” or by an oral statement, or by a letter allegedly from us to the effect that the day of the Lord is at hand. Let no one deceive you in any way. To this end he has also called you through our Gospel to possess the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours”…How easy it is to “get lost” in the “things” of this world…..While we as Catholics are called to live in the world - We are also called to not be “of the world” - What does that mean? - It means we are not “attached” to “things”….Clearly we need “things” to live - We need a home to keep the rain off our heads - We need a car to get around - We need cloths on our backs to keep us warm…But even the simplest of “things” can become distractions…This is why fasting weekly is essential….It not only sharpens our prayer life but it also serves as a reminder that material things are nothing more then “things”…..The same goes for ideologies and politics…How easy we can fall into the trap of forming our identity around “causes” and forget the Gospel Message in the process….The devil is very smart….And small temptations lead to big sins - Our world today takes this reality for granted and gets “swallowed up alive” as a result…..Only grace fortifies the human will - Only grace gives us “eyes to see” - Only grace elevates our human nature to live as Jesus asked of us to live in the Gospel…..This requires constant vigilance….When we “unplug” from God, we are easily fooled - Most of all, we “fool” ourselves……And the minute you “think” you could never be fooled - Is the very minute the devil smiles and knows he has you right where he wants you.


“The word of God is living and effective, able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart”


Over the years my wife and I incorporated weekly fasting into our routine…..On Wednesdays I fast for the Church - On Thursdays I fast for my family - On Friday I fast because Jesus suffered and died……Fasting is a forgotten practice of our Catholic faith that must again be utilized….A friend of mine told me this story about fasting from sleep….My friend John was a very intelligent young man…He came from a devout Catholic home and when he went to college, he lost his faith…When his father heard about this, he was deeply troubled…Instead of lecturing John - His father woke up in the middle of every night, got down on his knees and prayed for his son…John knew this was going on and as time went by - God’s grace once again came into John’s heart…Not only did he return to the faith, John founded a Catholic apostolate called the “Blue Collar Catholic” that utilized both radio and television - John is now a man of deep faith and is known all over the state of Alabama as well as America….Getting back to my wife and I and our weekly fasts….For a time I would go “crazy” when I saw liturgical abuses in the Church…The news of these abuses would “steal my peace”…So I decided to channel all my frustrations into my Wednesday fast….And in time I no longer got as aggravated with things I had no control over, I also did not lose my peace over liturgical abuses I heard / read about in the news….Striving to be “detached” from material things and events we have no control over is very important….These things “get in the way” of our relationship with God….And the devil knows how to “push our buttons”….Many times we do not even realize just how far we are from God when we are fixated on “things”


“Blind Pharisee, cleanse first the inside of the cup, so that the outside also may be clean”


Today St Paul reminds us - Focus!!!! - As Catholics living in the world, we know just how hectic life can become…We are pulled in many different directions, we have responsibilities to take care of, we must work to pay the bills…I “get it”….As all this goes on, the devil prowls and plots!…The devil knows us better then we know our selves…This is why we MUST make time for daily prayer…This is why we must fast each week to learn the virtue of detachment…This is why we MUST live in the state of grace by living Sacramentally……….”For our struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the principalities, with the powers, with the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens. Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground. So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate”…..The “battle” is VERY real and it rages all around us - Most of all - It rages within our own hearts….”I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world”……JMJ

No comments:

Post a Comment