Today at Holy Mass we are told in the first reading from the Prophet Ezekiel about the responsibilities of whose who were called to be shepherds for the Lord and how they did not do what was asked of them…..Clearly God called these men for a reason….They had certain gifts which made them equipt for the role…As we all know, not everyone is called to be a Priest but each of us does have a vocation and a task given to us by God…..And God gave us what we need to accomplish that task…..This is how we must view the natural gifts given to us - They were given for a purpose - To serve God and others…At the end of our life, when we look back at all the “things” we chased after and have faded away in time - The only things that will matter are the eternal things and in order to avoid regret, we must employ our gifts appropriately….There is an old saying…..”Those who have been given much - Much will be expected”…God does not give some people extraordinary gifts for them to hoard them selfishly - He gives some more than others, so those who have not been given as much can be guided and assisted - Do we as Catholics view our life this way? - To serve others - Especially if you have been given great natural talents and gifts….Because this is how God will judge us
“Thus says the Lord GOD: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who have been pasturing themselves! Should not shepherds, rather, pasture sheep? You have fed off their milk, worn their wool, and slaughtered the fatlings, but the sheep you have not pastured. You did not strengthen the weak nor heal the sick nor bind up the injured. You did not bring back the strayed nor seek the lost, but you lorded it over them harshly and brutally. So they were scattered for the lack of a shepherd, and became food for all the wild beasts. My sheep were scattered and wandered over all the mountains and high hills; my sheep were scattered over the whole earth, with no one to look after them or to search for them”
Before I was married I would spend Advent in Kolkata India serving the poor with Mother Teresa’s sisters…During that time I spent my mornings serving severely handicapped children….Many of these children were abandoned on the streets and the Missionaries of Charity provided a home for them…..Over the five years I served these children, I would sometimes just watch them and think to myself just how lucky they were…These children were completely innocent and while they did suffer from their handicaps, all their needs were provided for by the nuns…..I sometimes would think to myself, these children were more fortunate than me!….I am not innocent - I have to work hard in the business world to provide for my needs in an unjust world - But these children were so simple and God provided for them….Now - Think about this - What if Mother Teresa’s sisters did not provide for these innocent children? - Sadly - They all would be dead on the streets!!!…So basically, God created a “plan” and the Missionaries of Charity cooperated with that plan - And everyone was provided for….Again - What if the nuns did not do their part?…This is what we see in the world today…God has given some people many gifts and they hoard their gifts - They do not share or serve others with what God gave them - And that is why we see all the poverty and suffering that we see…..If each person just did their part! - The world would be such a better place….God is our Father and each of us is our brother’s keeper….God does not give some so much for them to not share what was given to them…For the day will come when Jesus will return and ask us….What did you do with the gifts I gave you? - Let’s hope we all have a good answer to that question - “Those who have been given much - Much will be expected”
“It will be as when a man who was going on a journey called in his servants and entrusted his possessions to them. To one he gave five talents; to another, two; to a third, one—to each according to his ability. Then he went away. Immediately the one who received five talents went and traded with them, and made another five. Likewise, the one who received two made another two. But the man who received one went off and dug a hole in the ground and buried his master’s money. After a long time the master of those servants came back and settled accounts with them. The one who had received five talents came forward bringing the additional five. He said, ‘Master, you gave me five talents. See, I have made five more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master’s joy.’ [Then] the one who had received two talents also came forward and said, ‘Master, you gave me two talents. See, I have made two more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master’s joy.’ Then the one who had received the one talent came forward and said, ‘Master, I knew you were a demanding person, harvesting where you did not plant and gathering where you did not scatter; so out of fear I went off and buried your talent in the ground. Here it is back.’ His master said to him in reply, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I did not plant and gather where I did not scatter? Should you not then have put my money in the bank so that I could have got it back with interest on my return? Now then! Take the talent from him and give it to the one with ten. For to everyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away”
Today we hear at Mass once again in the Gospel…..…”The last will be first, and the first will be last”…God does not give us great talents for us to hoard them….This is how the materialistic world views talents - “Good for me, Too bad for you” - That mindset is not the path to eternal life……….No one ever became poor by sharing….And if everyone just did their part - The world would be such a better place…..God does not distribute gifts evenly - We all know this…But God does give out gifts for a purpose - Its for us to share what God has given us and put our natural talents at the service of God, His Church and our neighbor…Those who have ears - Let them hear…..This is on the “final exam” - So write what I said down…..JMJ
No comments:
Post a Comment