Friday, November 4, 2016

“When we teach people that suspending moral judgments is a virtue, the necessary outcome is moral horror.”


“The modern habit of saying "This is my opinion, but I may be wrong" is entirely irrational. If I say that it may be wrong, I say that is not my opinion. The modern habit of saying "Every man has a different philosophy; this is my philosophy and it suits me" – the habit of saying this is mere weak-mindedness. A cosmic philosophy is not constructed to fit a man; a cosmic philosophy is constructed to fit a cosmos. A man can no more possess a private religion than he can possess a private sun and moon.” ― G.K. Chesterton: (1874-1936: was an English writer, poet, and philosopher)

Scripture Text: (PHIL 3:17—4:1)
Join with others in being imitators of me, brothers and sisters,
and observe those who thus conduct themselves
according to the model you have in us.
For many, as I have often told you
and now tell you even in tears,
conduct themselves as enemies of the cross of Christ.
Their end is destruction.
Their God is their stomach;
their glory is in their “shame.”
Their minds are occupied with earthly things.
But our citizenship is in heaven,
and from it we also await a savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
He will change our lowly body
to conform with his glorified Body
by the power that enables him also
to bring all things into subjection to himself.

Therefore, my brothers and sisters,
whom I love and long for, my joy and crown,
in this way stand firm in the Lord, beloved.

“Our citizenship is in Heaven”. What would our lives look like if we believed these words sincerely? Saint Paul is exhorting the Philippians neither to place their faith in this world, nor to use the things of this world for their own sake.


If our citizenship is in Heaven, then the things of this world are means, rather than ends. What do we seek in this life? What we seek are our ends. Do we seek things that are of this world? Or is what we’re seeking of God? God gives us good things in this world to use as stepping stones, to draw others, and to be drawn up into our true citizenship in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment