Wednesday, October 28, 2015

“Experience has taught me this, that we undo ourselves by impatience.”


“The strongest of all warriors are these two — Time and Patience.”  - Leo Tolstoy: (1828 – 1910: Russian novelist)
Gospel Text: (Luke 6:12-16)
Jesus went up to the mountain to pray,
and he spent the night in prayer to God.
When day came, he called his disciples to himself,
and from them he chose Twelve, whom he also named Apostles:
Simon, whom he named Peter, and his brother Andrew,
James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew,
Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus,
Simon who was called a Zealot,
and Judas the son of James,
and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.
At first the gospel reading was a little unclear, but then I realized Christ was praying for guidance as He chose the Apostles.  He spent the night praying to discern who among the many disciples should be chosen as the true first ministers and ambassadors.  The story reminds me of how many times in my own life I have NOT followed what I know I should do in making important decisions. 

Many times I make quick decisions on issues that deserve more deliberation.  I might be in a hurry, or I might be under pressure to move something along, or to be expedient, or I haven’t even taken enough time to determine if the issue was important.  I get impatient with process and the prayer needed to fully discern what the aspects are of the issue, and how I should proceed.  I may be pre-disposed, and unwilling to admit it.  My concerns with what is directly in front of me at that moment outweighs what I know in my heart should be considered as I make a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment