Monday, February 4, 2013

We cannot always trace God's hand, but we can always trust God's heart.


“Poor human reason, when it trusts in itself, substitutes the strangest absurdities for the highest divine concepts”  Saint John Chrysostom (Church Father, biblical interpreter , and archbishop of Constantinople, 347-407)

(Scripture Text: Ps 31:20, 21, 22, 23, 24)
R. (25) Let your hearts take comfort, all who hope in the Lord.
How great is the goodness, O LORD,
which you have in store for those who fear you,
And which, toward those who take refuge in you,
you show in the sight of the children of men.
R. Let your hearts take comfort, all who hope in the Lord.
You hide them in the shelter of your presence
from the plottings of men;
You screen them within your abode
from the strife of tongues.
R. Let your hearts take comfort, all who hope in the Lord.
Blessed be the LORD whose wondrous mercy
he has shown me in a fortified city.
R. Let your hearts take comfort, all who hope in the Lord.
Once I said in my anguish,
“I am cut off from your sight”;
Yet you heard the sound of my pleading
when I cried out to you.
R. Let your hearts take comfort, all who hope in the Lord.
Love the LORD, all you his faithful ones!
The LORD keeps those who are constant,
but more than requites those who act proudly.
R. Let your hearts take comfort, all who hope in the Lord.

The Responsorial Psalm gives us a beautiful message today.

“Let your hearts take comfort, all who hope in the Lord.”

I know, for me at least, this does not come nearly as frequently as I would like when I think about that is going on in our country. Of course, there are the global concerns too: government policies, a constantly fluctuating economy, the environment, etc.

The list of things we could be worried about seems to be endless. 

Yet, the Psalm tells us to have hope and take comfort. Sometimes it can be difficult to have hope. I know often times in my life I find myself adopting the slogan, “If you want something right, do it yourself!” As a somewhat perfectionist type of person, I find it extremely difficult to trust that others will do the job “right.” (Trust and hope, in this situation at least, I think are interchangeable.) However, when it comes to God… I know there is no reason to worry whether or not it will be done correctly.

Hence, for me at least, this has been a very comforting Psalm… it provides the much needed opportunity and reminder that we are not in this world alone, and the importance to trust in God.

Whether we realize it or not, He has everything under control – So let go and let God – Enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment