Friday, November 23, 2012

Let's approach Christmas with an expectant hush, rather than a last-minute rush


The greatest gift you will ever receive will never be found under a Christmas tree. It is far too valuable to be stored in any other place but in the depths of your heart.  – Anonymous

(Scripture Text: Ps 119:14, 24, 72, 103, 111, 131)
R. (103a) How sweet to my taste is your promise!
In the way of your decrees I rejoice,
as much as in all riches.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
Yes, your decrees are my delight;
they are my counselors.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
The law of your mouth is to me more precious
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
How sweet to my palate are your promises,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
Your decrees are my inheritance forever;
the joy of my heart they are.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!
I gasp with open mouth
in my yearning for your commands.
R. How sweet to my taste is your promise!

Don’t we all have “enemies” lurking in our hearts and minds, trying to overpower and banish Jesus from our lives? Don’t we all have interior closets filled with doubts, resentments, and other powerful temptations that would prefer to stay locked up? Fortunately, we have a weapon at hand to defeat these enemies.

As we approach Advent, we are coming into a season of preparation; what the Eastern Churches call a "Little Lent." This is a time of self-examination and repentance in preparation for Christmas.

Be ruthless in looking at yourself. What is in you that is not pleasing to God? Find a good tool for this examination and then make a good confession.

We have a lot of doors in front of us now. This is the season to throw open the door of our heart, letting our Lord cleanse us of those things which keep us distant from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment