Friday, December 15, 2017

“The relativism which is not willing to speak about truth but only about ‘what is true for me’ is an evasion of the serious business of living. It is the mark of a tragic loss of nerve in our contemporary culture. It is a preliminary symptom of death.”


“The modern habit of saying "This is my opinion, but I may be wrong" is entirely irrational. If I say that it may be wrong, I say that is not my opinion. The modern habit of saying "Every man has a different philosophy; this is my philosophy and it suits me" – the habit of saying this is mere weak-mindedness. A cosmic philosophy is not constructed to fit a man; a cosmic philosophy is constructed to fit a cosmos. A man can no more possess a private religion than he can possess a private sun and moon.” ― G.K. Chesterton: (1874 – 1936: was an English writer, poet, & philosopher)

Gospel Text: (MT 11:16-19)
Jesus said to the crowds:
"To what shall I compare this generation?
It is like children who sit in marketplaces and call to one another,
'We played the flute for you, but you did not dance,
we sang a dirge but you did not mourn.'
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they said,
'He is possessed by a demon.'
The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they said,
'Look, he is a glutton and a drunkard,
a friend of tax collectors and sinners.'
But wisdom is vindicated by her works."

Jesus criticizes the “crowds” for their lack of consistency. The crowds criticize Jesus and John the Baptist for opposite reasons. In other words, there is no pleasing the crowds. If Calvary didn’t prove that Jesus is no populist, His words at the end of today’s Gospel passage do.


“But wisdom is vindicated by her works.”

No comments:

Post a Comment