Thursday, May 7, 2015

“We become what we love and who we love shapes what we become”


"The proof of love is in the works. Where love exists, it works great things. But when it ceases to act, it ceases to exist." - Pope St. Gregory the Great (540 – 604: The patron saint of teachers)

Gospel Text: (JN 15:9-11)
Jesus said to his disciples:
“As the Father loves me, so I also love you.
Remain in my love.
If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love,
just as I have kept my Father’s commandments
and remain in his love.

“I have told you this so that
my joy might be in you and
your joy might be complete.”

One of the most remarkable things Jesus said to his disciples, and says to us is, "As the Father loves me, so I also love you." That takes some real personal reflection and acceptance. It is really hard to imagine how much the Father loves Jesus. But we can try to imagine that it is a love which is extraordinary. So, when Jesus says that he loves us just as much, it is overwhelming. It is so wonderful that it is difficult to get close to. Jesus loves us - he loves me - as much as the Father loves Jesus.

And, what he asks is that we "remain" in his love. In order to do this it comes down to self-awareness and making choices.

To choose freedom is to choose to let go of what is keeping us from seeking a happiness that will always elude us. It means saying, "We don't want to make our home in frustrations, judgments, anger, stress or false pleasures or victories." It means being attracted to being centered in a different place. Once that happens our perspective changes and as a result we change. We can no longer cling to what makes us unhappy and leaves us empty. This leads to true freedom.

That's what we can ask for today: To desire this grace. Or even to desire the desire for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment