Friday, May 8, 2015

"Luv" comes from spring breezes; real love (agape) comes from the center of the soul


Spread love everywhere you go: first of all in your own house. Give love to your children, to your wife or husband, to a next door neighbor... Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."--Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Gospel Text: (JN 15:12-17)
Jesus said to his disciples:
“This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.
No one has greater love than this,
to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
You are my friends if you do what I command you.
I no longer call you slaves,
because a slave does not know what his master is doing.
I have called you friends,
because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.
It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you
and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain,
so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.
This I command you: love one another.”

When the Lord says "I love you," He doesn't mean "I like you," "I'm attracted to you," or "I want to socialize with you." When the Lord says "I love you," He means "I have died for you." "It is precisely in this that God proves His love for us: that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Rm 5:8). "The way we came to understand love was that He laid down His life for us; we too must lay down our lives for others" (1 Jn 3:16). Most of us do this by living sacrificial lives for our family.

For a Christian, love is not selfish and superficial; rather, it is crucified and divine. Love for a Christian is not an attraction as much as a command. Jesus said: "This is My commandment: love one another as I have loved you" (Jn 15:12). "There are in the end three things that last: faith, hope, and love, and the greatest of these is love.

Seek eagerly after love (1 Cor 13:13—14:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment