Sunday, March 4, 2012

“Spend time every day listening to what your muse is trying to tell you”

"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.” Mother Teresa

Gospel text (Mc 9,2-10):
Jesus took Peter, James, and John
and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves.
And he was transfigured before them,
and his clothes became dazzling white,
such as no fuller on earth could bleach them.
Then Elijah appeared to them along with Moses,
and they were conversing with Jesus.
Then Peter said to Jesus in reply,
"Rabbi, it is good that we are here!
Let us make three tents:
one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah."
He hardly knew what to say, they were so terrified.
Then a cloud came, casting a shadow over them;
from the cloud came a voice,
"This is my beloved Son. Listen to him."
Suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone
but Jesus alone with them.

As they were coming down from the mountain,
he charged them not to relate what they had seen to anyone,
except when the Son of Man had risen from the dead.
So they kept the matter to themselves,
questioning what rising from the dead meant.

I remember not listening seriously to my father when I was a young boy, but then I saw him at his place of employment. My Dad was a barber in Belleville New Jersey for 37 years. I had never seen him in these circumstances. He was clearly a man of God, of faith, and of courage. He was transfigured in my eyes. I had never seen my dad in that way. From that point on, I listened to him as I had never done before.

Today the status quo in the United States of America does not take Jesus seriously. We seem unaware of His divinity. We don't listen to Him, His Word, and His Church. To listen to Him, we must see Jesus new and transfigured to break out of the rut of disobedience. We need to experience Jesus in a completely new way so we will listen to Him in a completely new way.

"Listen to Him" (Mk 9:7).

No comments:

Post a Comment