Thursday, March 29, 2012

Obstinacy is the result of the will forcing itself into the place of the intellect

Remember that you have only one soul; that you have only one death to die; that you have only one life...If you do this, there will be many things about which you care nothing. —St Teresa of Avila

Gospel text (Jn 8,51-59):
Jesus said to the Jews:
"Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever keeps my word will never see death."
So the Jews said to him,
"Now we are sure that you are possessed.
Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say,
'Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.'
Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died?
Or the prophets, who died?
Who do you make yourself out to be?"
Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing;
but it is my Father who glorifies me,
of whom you say, 'He is our God.'
You do not know him, but I know him.
And if I should say that I do not know him,
I would be like you a liar.
But I do know him and I keep his word.
Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day;
he saw it and was glad."
So the Jews said to him,
"You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?"
Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you,
before Abraham came to be, I AM."
So they picked up stones to throw at him;
but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.

Have you ever known someone who disagreed with your thinking, when you knew fully well they were stuck in their position? I think Jesus must have been so frustrated with the society in which He lived in. Can you imagine that some had actually witnessed Jesus as a twelve year old, exhibiting extraordinary wisdom in the Temple? And even now, after many miracles He performed right in front of their eyes, they were ready to stone him for heresy! The question for each of us and the society in which we live in today is: Are we being thick-headed in our lack of faith... are we relying on God as opposed to ourselves or creature comforts?

Christianity is much more than a collection of high moral norms, as can be perfect love, or even, forgiveness. Christianity is faith in one person. Jesus Christ, True God and True Man. To put it simply, it is a loving relationship.

In ten days, you will be asked whether you believe Jesus is God. On Easter Sunday, at every Mass in every Catholic Church in the world, Catholics will be invited to renew their baptismal promises. In the fifth baptismal promise, you will be asked whether you believe Jesus is God. If you answer "Yes," that means you submit your life to Him. If you believe that Jesus is God, you will desire to receive Him in Holy Communion as frequently as possible, do His will, and tell others about Him most especially by the way you live your life. If you believe that Jesus is God, you will center your life on Him and make Him first in your life (see Mt 6:33).

Say "Yes" to I AM by saying "No" to I.

No comments:

Post a Comment