Friday, September 25, 2026

“In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world”


Today at Holy Mass in the Gospel of Luke Jesus tells Peter something he does not understand - Not only does he not understand it - He does not accept it…And guess what?…Nor do we!……“The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed”……So what is the problem here? - Bottom line - If Jesus who is God suffered - SO WILL WE - And we adamantly reject this notion - We run from suffering - We avoid suffering - We push suffering away….But this is not what Jesus did - And we must learn to accept whatever suffering comes our way as being part a God’s permissive will for us, in order for us to grow in sanctity and become a holy people….Learning to say “OK God” when things do not go our way is a grace - One I pray and fast for….The saints accepted everything and we too must strive to do the same….Suffering touches every human soul and ONLY the Catholic faith can adequately address it - Why Is that the case? - You can not “think” your way out of suffering - You cannot “argue” your way out of suffering….You can only pray your way out of suffering and by and through God’s grace - You can accept that suffering and endure it until it “passes”…This is how we grow in holiness…..As Catholics we are told by Jesus himself that we must “pick up our cross daily” - We give “lip service” to this “idea” and “think” we understand this request - Until we actually see and feel just how heavy “that cross”   is….Then comes the “excuses” - The complaints - The avoidance - The self rationalizations…..Jesus knows us better then we know ourself and he knows EXACTLY what we need to become holy - And that MUST be the goal - To become holy….And because God loves us - He allows suffering to enter our life through his permissive will - A “particular suffering” perfectly suited for each soul…To mold us - To form us - To sanctify us….I have prayed to Our Lady and have asked her to make me a saint - So my life can bring her son the glory…Not the way “I” want to become a saint - The way her son wants me to become a saint…And my “bet” is - Those two “ideas” are very different…Maybe God’s idea of me becoming a saint is simply to be a good husband and father….To do the simple tasks each day with joy and great amounts of love - To enjoy every moment with my wife and children…Not too “glamorous” - Right?!? - But that does not matter!!! - God knows what we need and he provides what we need so we can become WHO we were born to be….St Luke’s Gospel today began with Jesus asking St Peter a question…..“Who do the crowds say that I am?”……Take a moment today and ask God that question about yourself…..WHO am I Lord and WHO am I supposed to become?…..The answer may be very different from “your version” of who you “think” you are and who you are to become…Either way - One thing I know for certain - YOU are to become a saint - WE are all called to become saints…Be who you were born to be!


“The Son of Man came to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many”


For seven years I served with Mother Teresa’s sisters in an AIDS hospice in New York City every Saturday…I primarily was the Saturday driver but the convent I would visit every Saturday took care of man with AIDS - In fact, this home was the first of its kind in all of America founded by Mother Teresa herself - This is where I was given my “education”…In this home I have seen men transformed - And their suffering played a big part of the transformation…Allow me to share one story….One Saturday in 2008 I got to the convent and the sisters told me that Bishop Manny Cruz, the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Newark (my diocese) personally carried in a man (he literally carried him in with his own hands), who was dying in a city hospital in New Jersey of AIDS….This man was from El Salvador and his name was Manuel - Manuel spoke no English, he was blind and had AIDS - No joke!….When I saw Manuel in a bed in the hospice I thought to myself - He will be dead soon - Manual was emancipated and looked like his time was short for this life……For two straight weeks he did not get out of bed…But slowly, due to the good care the sisters provided…..Manual slowly got better…It took one entire year from him to come down the stairs by himself to the chapel to pray a Holy Hour with us and go to daily Mass….Think about that for a moment - ONE WHOLE YEAR he was basically bedridden!!!….Manual not only got better with time - But began to thrive….He would pray everyday and became a daily communicant…He lived in the Hospice for seven years! - And frankly, he was a very pleasant man, considering he was blind and had AIDS…Well one day, the sisters told me Manual was moving out…They found him an assisted living facility in New York City suited for the blind….When I heard this I called Bishop Manny’s office in Newark…I told his secretary that Bishop Manny carried a man, half dead, to a AIDS Hospice in Manhattan seven years ago run by Mother Teresa’s sisters…..That he is now leaving and going to live on his own - I asked Bishop Manny’s secretary if he would come to the convent and preside over a Mass of thanksgiving….His secretary said she would “pass on the message”…Guess what? - Bishop Manny showed up!….And when Manual, the man he saved heard his voice, he weep like a child…..Think about the ordeal Manuel went through to get him to “this state” - A prayerful man - A daily communicant…He was on death’s door!!!! - He was bedridden for one entire year - He was blind - He had AIDS…And now - After all that - He was restored back to being able to live independently and was actively practicing his Catholic faith…..What does that tell you?…I can only conclude - God has a plan…And his ways are NOT our ways…..Everything happens for a reason - All suffering is meant to sanctify us…And there is one goal - The only goal that matters!!!! - That we arrive safely in heaven……


“The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed”


Learn to say - “OK God”….Pray and fast for this grace….God “knows what he is doing”….”I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world”…..JMJ

No comments:

Post a Comment