Friday, January 3, 2020

If it is "daily bread," why do you take it once a year?


If we but paused for a moment to consider attentively what takes place in this Sacrament, I am sure that the thought of Christ's love for us would transform the coldness of our hearts into a fire of love and gratitude. - Angela of Foligno: (1248 – 1309: was an Italian Franciscan tertiary who became known as a mystic from her extensive writings about her mystical revelations.)

Gospel Text: (JN 1:29-34)
John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said,
“Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.
He is the one of whom I said,
‘A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me
because he existed before me.’
I did not know him,
but the reason why I came baptizing with water
was that he might be made known to Israel.”
John testified further, saying,
“I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky
and remain upon him.
I did not know him,
but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me,
‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain,
he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’
Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.

Think about that statement: “Behold the Lamb of God…”  It’s good to start by imagining John speaking these words of Jesus.  But from there, we apply them to the Eucharist and to countless other moments in our daily lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment