Friday, April 22, 2016

“Following Jesus isn’t something you can do at night where no one notices. It’s a twenty-four-hour-a-day commitment that will interfere with your life. That’s not the small print—that’s a guarantee.”


“There’s no greater lifestyle and no greater happiness than that of having a continual conversation with God.” – Brother Lawrence: 1614 –1691: served as a lay brother in a Carmelite monastery in Paris.

Gospel Text: (JN 14:1-6)
Jesus said to his disciples:
“Do not let your hearts be troubled.
You have faith in God; have faith also in me.
In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.
If there were not,
would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come back again and take you to myself,
so that where I am you also may be.
Where I am going you know the way.”
Thomas said to him,
“Master, we do not know where you are going;
how can we know the way?”
Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.”


God bless St Thomas in today’s gospel passage – he sets it up for us to hear and see clearly.  Where is this place to which Jesus is referring?  Where is He going?  How long a walk is it?  Are there any landmarks to expect along the road?  No Thomas, Jesus is not speaking of a geographical location.  There is no road.  There is no journey to a temple or a synagogue essential to life with God.  There is only a PERSON, the Lord Jesus.  He is the Way to life.  The Risen Lord is in the Father and the Father is in the Son.  Our Way to the Father is in the Son.  If we keep Jesus as the center of our life each minute, each day, week, month and year – always, we will know the Way; we will have the Way; we will be following the Way.  It is an inward journey which leads us to life choices and decisions which accurately reflect the mind and heart of the Risen Lord Jesus in our sense of self, in our relationships with one another, in our parishes, our Church and our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment