Friday, January 3, 2014

“Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person.”


"The Holy Spirit gives us joy. And he is joy. Joy is the gift in which all the other gifts are included. It is the expression of happiness, of being in harmony with ourselves, that which can only come from being in harmony with God and with his creation. It belongs to the nature of joy to be radiant; it must communicate itself. The missionary spirit of the Church is none other than the impulse to communicate the joy which has been given." - Pope Benedict XVI, Christmas Address to the Roman Curia, 2008

Gospel Text: (JN 1:29-34)
John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said,
“Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.
He is the one of whom I said,
‘A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me
because he existed before me.’
I did not know him,
but the reason why I came baptizing with water
was that he might be made known to Israel.”
John testified further, saying,
“I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky
and remain upon him.
I did not know him,
but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me,
‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain,
he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’
Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”

One of the obstacles I find in speaking about Jesus and Catholicism to others is a wall that is so often built around human hearts and minds. There are many misconceptions about religious faith.

The word Gospel literally means Good News. And there is Good News! God has revealed Himself to us. He is not hidden. The word revelation literally means to unveil, to make known. This is what occurred, is occurring, and will occur in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the Self-Revelation of God. We who bear His name are called to proclaim the Good news and unveil the meaning of who Jesus is for all men and women. That means you and me! Why?, because we were baptized into the Body of Christ.

This God who fashioned the Universe is not simply a principle to be reflected upon, leading us to a set of propositions. He has been manifested, unveiled to us in His Son, Jesus Christ. It is in receiving this Divine Self-manifestation, hearing this Yes and believing, that we find the very meaning of our own lives as we enter into the lifestyle of living faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment