Wednesday, December 11, 2013

“Humble and suffering prayer prevails over God Himself.”


“There are some people who, in order not to pray, use an excuse. The fact that life is so hectic that it prevents them from praying. This cannot be…Prayer does not demand that we interrupt our work, but that we continue working as if it were a prayer…It is not necessary to always be meditating, nor to consciously experience the sensation that we are talking to God, no matter how nice this would be….What matters is being with Him, living in Him, in His will. To love with a pure heart, to love everybody, especially to love the poor, is a twenty-four hour prayer.” – Mother Teresa

Gospel text: (MT 11:28-30)
Jesus said to the crowds:
“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

I am frequently asked what I think is the greatest need in the Church today. People presume to know how I will answer. They expect my answer to be action oriented. My answer is simple. "The greatest need in the Church today is people who pray", I respond.

Through prayer we can recover the capacity for an intimate communion of love with the living God and plunge ourselves into its embrace. Prayer is a process of Love exchanged for love. In its classroom we learn how to live in this communion throughout the day and in all circumstances.

Prayer is not about doing or getting but rather about being, receiving, giving, and loving. Prayer is the path to communion through Jesus Christ with the Father, in Jesus Christ with one another, and in the Trinitarian God with the world which He created and is recreating and redeeming in Christ.

All of this is made possible through the Holy Spirit who invites us - right now - into to the very inner life of the Trinity, through prayer.

We need “impractical” people, who pray. Let us hear the invitation this day and Come to Jesus. Let us take His yoke upon ourselves and find the meaning of His promise. Freedom and self surrender are not at odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment