Saturday, May 19, 2012

'Do not be afraid to abandon yourself unreservedly to His loving Providence, for a child cannot perish in the arms of a Father


'The more you abandon to God the care of all temporal things the more He will take care to provide for all your wants. But if on the contrary you try to supply all your needs Providence will allow you to continue to do just that, and then it may very well happen that even necessity will be lacking to you. For God will reprove you for your lack of faith in reliance on self.'
St. Jean-Baptiste de la Salle

Gospel Text: Jn 16:23B-28
Jesus said to his disciples:
"Amen, amen, I say to you,
whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.
Until now you have not asked anything in my name;
ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.

"I have told you this in figures of speech.
The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures
but I will tell you clearly about the Father.
On that day you will ask in my name,
and I do not tell you that I will ask the Father for you.
For the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me
and have come to believe that I came from God.
I came from the Father and have come into the world.
Now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father."

This verse is one that has often puzzled me.  In today’s society, we hear about things people ask for that they believe they need in order to be happy.  This verse seems to imply that God will give us whatever we ask for, like the spoiled kid in the toy store that just whines to mommy or daddy to get whatever it is he/she wants.  What we don’t realize is God knows our needs better than we do.  He gives us what we ask for when what we ask for will make us truly happy.

Jesus came so that we might know his Father.  It is through Jesus that we can ask God for what we need.  We should remember that as we go through our days.  Jesus came so we would be able to have complete joy in life.  It is through God that we find what will truly make us happy, and that’s a reminder we all need sometimes. 

I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment