Friday, October 21, 2011

'I am not a saint, unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying.' - Nelson Mandela

Let no one mourn that he has fallen again and again; for forgiveness has risen from the grave - St. John Chrysostom

Romans 7:18-25
Brothers and sisters:
I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh.
The willing is ready at hand, but doing the good is not.
For I do not do the good I want,
but I do the evil I do not want.
Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it,
but sin that dwells in me.
So, then, I discover the principle
that when I want to do right, evil is at hand.
For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self,
but I see in my members another principle
at war with the law of my mind,
taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.
Miserable one that I am!
Who will deliver me from this mortal body?
Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. What a universal theme this is. I know we all fight with this every day.

We're constantly tempted to focus on our limitations. Jesus gave us a new nature so we can instead focus on His omnipotence. Are you broke? Say not: "I'm so broke." Instead, say: "Jesus, You're my Wealth" (see Phil 3:8). Are you fearful? Say not: "I'm so afraid." Instead, say: "Jesus, You're my Helper. I will not be afraid" (see Heb 13:6). Are you overwhelmed? Say not: "I'm so swamped." Instead, say: "Jesus, You are Peace beyond all understanding. I know You'll work all things to the good" (see Phil 4:7; Eph 2:14; Rm 8:28). Are you in pain? Say not: "I can't bear this suffering." Instead, say: "Jesus, You suffered in agony for me. I trust Your love will carry me through this cross."

Let Jesus remove any vocabulary of limitation and give you free speech. Let Him fill your throat with the high praises of God (Ps 149:6) and the gift of tongues to praise Him "very well indeed" (1 Cor 14:17). May He give you "a well-trained tongue" (Is 50:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment