Monday, July 18, 2011

“Don’t believe in miracles – depend on them.”

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature. ~ St.Augustine

Gospel text (Mt 12,38-42):
Some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Jesus,
“Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.”
He said to them in reply,
“An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign,
but no sign will be given it
except the sign of Jonah the prophet.
Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights,
so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth
three days and three nights.
At the judgment, the men of Nineveh will arise with this generation
and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah;
and there is something greater than Jonah here.
At the judgment the queen of the south will arise with this generation
and condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth
to hear the wisdom of Solomon;
and there is something greater than Solomon here.”

Who is that “evil and unfaithful generation that seeks a sign?” Certainly, Jesus (as portrayed by Matthew) goes after the scribes and Pharisees. They have refused to accept his preaching and to discern the hand of God in his healing.

It seems that this was a very lively question in the early Church – why didn’t everyone accept Jesus as the Messiah who had come into the world? Why did the scribes and Pharisees reject him?

I can see several aspects of this question today that hearken back to the early Church’s plea. Yet, I also sense some differences that our situation promotes.
Why don’t more people accept the preaching of the Gospel?
Why have so many left the Church?
Why does a spirit of lethargy seem to permeate the Church?
Why is conversion so difficult?

One thing that I believe I have learned is that I should always include myself in any ‘condemnation’ or ‘judgment’ of others. When I see lethargy in the Church, I should look for its roots and tangles in my own life. When I wonder why “they” don’t accept the Word, I also have to wonder why I am so slow to let it in. And when I criticize American culture for its narcissistic individualism, I should look for its manifestation in my awareness and actions.

At least, that SHOULD be my intention.

The sign of the cross is like a stop sign. When we are driving and we see a stop sign, we automatically come to a stop and look to see what is happening. When we see a crucifix, we must react the same way. We should immediately stop. We look on the crucified Jesus, keeping "our eyes fixed on Jesus" (Heb 12:2). This should stop us in our tracks. We stand speechless before the sight of the Son of God hanging in agony, as have mighty men and women of old (see Is 52:14-15). We listen to Jesus, as He says: "Stop, and know that I am God" (see Ps 46:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment