Sunday, February 4, 2018

“If you want others to follow your example, don't criticize or cajole others, but rather live your own life in a manner that convincingly demonstrates both the virtue and the success of your way of life.”


“If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see.” ― Henry David Thoreau: (1817 – 1862: was an American essayist, poet, & philosopher)

Scripture Text: (1 COR 9:16-19, 22-23)
Brothers and sisters:
If I preach the gospel, this is no reason for me to boast,
for an obligation has been imposed on me,
and woe to me if I do not preach it!
If I do so willingly, I have a recompense,
but if unwillingly, then I have been entrusted with a stewardship.
What then is my recompense?
That, when I preach,
I offer the gospel free of charge
so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

Although I am free in regard to all,
I have made myself a slave to all
so as to win over as many as possible.
To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak.
I have become all things to all, to save at least some.
All this I do for the sake of the gospel,
so that I too may have a share in it.

Thus, the Question:  As believers, how do we reflect the generous spirit of Jesus?  How do we spread the Good News in our day?  By virtue of our Baptism, we each have a vocation (married, single, priestly/religious) which is further focused in the talents and direction we’ve given our lives (e.g. parent, teacher, manager, professional person, student, health care worker, etc.). 


How do we witness God’s Love, Life, Joy in our world of violence and fear, of poverty and loneliness, of mistrust and selfishness?  

No comments:

Post a Comment