Monday, May 15, 2017

“Without a doubt, obedience is more meritorious than any other penance.”


Naturally we all have an inclination to command, and a great aversion to obey; and yet it is certain that it is more for our good to obey than to command; hence perfect souls have always had a great affection for obedience, and have found all their joy and comfort in it.  -- Saint Francis of Sales: (1567 –1622: was a Bishop of Geneva & Doctor of the Church)

Gospel Text: (JN 14:21-26)
Jesus said to his disciples:
"Whoever has my commandments and observes them
is the one who loves me.
Whoever loves me will be loved by my Father,
and I will love him and reveal myself to him."
Judas, not the Iscariot, said to him,
"Master, then what happened that you will reveal yourself to us
and not to the world?"
Jesus answered and said to him,
"Whoever loves me will keep my word,
and my Father will love him,
and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.
Whoever does not love me does not keep my words;
yet the word you hear is not mine
but that of the Father who sent me.

"I have told you this while I am with you.
The Advocate, the Holy Spirit
whom the Father will send in my name—
he will teach you everything
and remind you of all that I told you."

How do we know that there is a God? That he is living? How can we prove that we are worshipping the true God? There are some false prophets who have spoken falsely in God's name. In his teachings, Jesus has told us that we are following the true God if we have love.

Love connects us to Christ who is one with the Father. It is through love that people will know we are the disciples of Jesus. We can be good people, generous and helpful, but without love of God, this goodness is all for show. The love that comes from God has no conditions; freely given, it expects nothing in return.

The Gospel reading today tells us to show our love for God by following his commandments, listening to his word and keeping them.

With love for God, we will be able to love our neighbor freely and without any conditions, and joyfully. Divine love is this, to share in the limitless love of the Trinity.


No comments:

Post a Comment