Saturday, May 21, 2016

“So often people say that we should look to the elderly, learn from their wisdom, their many years. I disagree, I say we should look to the young: untarnished, without stereotypes implanted in their minds, no poison, no hatred in their hearts. When we learn to see life through the eyes of a child, that is when we become truly wise.”



Gospel Text: (MK 10:13-16)
People were bringing children to Jesus that he might touch them,
but the disciples rebuked them.
When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them,
“Let the children come to me; do not prevent them,
for the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
Amen, I say to you,
whoever does not accept the Kingdom of God like a child
will not enter it.”
Then he embraced the children and blessed them,
placing his hands on them.


I suppose you could say that children trust because they are naive.  Ideally, children don’t learn life’s hard lessons of disappointment and failure and grief when they are young.  Adults don’t have that luxury, though, so we are not asked to be like children in a naive way, believing that our trust in God will remove all suffering and difficulty in our lives.  Instead, we are invited to trust DESPITE all that life has held, to trust that God is working something good in me, in the midst of all the joys and sorrows, triumphs and trials.  When I am in the midst of a busy day or a challenging time in life, this simple message and simple trust that God is working for good is the little nudge that I need to spend a little time in prayer, opening myself up to this mystery as it slowly unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment