Wednesday, May 11, 2016

“A condition of knowing the truth is, I think, the willingness to make some sacrifice for it.”


It is hard to know what other way men can come to truth, to lay hold of it, if they do not dig and search for it as for gold and hid treasure; but he that does so, must have much earth and rubbish, before he gets the pure metal; sand, and pebbles, and dross usually lie blended with it, but the gold is nevertheless gold, and will enrich the man that employs his pains to seek and separate it. – John Locke: (1632 – 1704) was an English philosopher and physician)

Gospel Text: (JN 17:11B-19)
Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed, saying:
“Holy Father, keep them in your name
that you have given me,
so that they may be one just as we are one.
When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me,
and I guarded them, and none of them was lost
except the son of destruction,
in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
But now I am coming to you.
I speak this in the world
so that they may share my joy completely.
I gave them your word, and the world hated them,
because they do not belong to the world
any more than I belong to the world.
I do not ask that you take them out of the world
but that you keep them from the Evil One.
They do not belong to the world
any more than I belong to the world.
Consecrate them in the truth.
Your word is truth.
As you sent me into the world,
so I sent them into the world.
And I consecrate myself for them,
so that they also may be consecrated in truth.”


Despite the difficulties of trying to live the Gospel message in our secular world, I do not become discouraged.  It is only a reminder about how fertile and full the field is for harvest. My task is to persevere in the truth and as Pope Francis reminds all of us, always act in love, have a kindness in our hearts and most importantly always keep mercy as a priority in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment