Monday, August 4, 2014

Hope is putting faith to work when doubting would be easier.


”When we have once placed ourselves entirely in the hands of God, we need apprehend no evil; if adversity comes, He knows how to turn it to our advantage, by means which will in time be manifested to us." - Saint Vincent of Paul

RESPONSORIAL PSALM (PS 119:29, 43, 79, 80, 95, 102)
R. (68b) Lord, teach me your statutes.
Remove from me the way of falsehood,
and favor me with your law.
R. Lord, teach me your statutes.
Take not the word of truth from my mouth,
for in your ordinances is my hope.
R. Lord, teach me your statutes.
Let those turn to me who fear you
and acknowledge your decrees.
R. Lord, teach me your statutes.
Let my heart be perfect in your statutes,
that I be not put to shame.
R. Lord, teach me your statutes.
Sinners wait to destroy me,
but I pay heed to your decrees.
R. Lord, teach me your statutes.
From your ordinances I turn not away,
for you have instructed me.
R. Lord, teach me your statutes.

So what is hope? Put simply, hope is confidence that a brighter day is coming, because God said so. Hope is the grace to lift our eyes and our hearts to heaven, where we find the energy and motivation to keep moving forward.

Like faith and love, hope can start small in our hearts. Think of a whisper or a mustard seed of hope. But even in small doses, it’s potent. Just a bit of hope can galvanize us through a difficult season. It can remind us that God is working all things together for our good. It can help us see the great potential in small beginnings.

What about you? Maybe you find yourself losing hope. Maybe the odds seem stacked against your dreams for your life or your family. You have your reasons. But whatever they are, God wants to intervene. He wants to give you a hope that’s different, that’s anchored in eternal truth. A hope that doesn’t waver with circumstances or dwindle with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment