Thursday, August 28, 2014

Death does not wait to see if things are done or not done


"Don’t fancy that your age can make you look forward to a long life. It is too uncertain, my dear boys. Rather, it is quite certain that some day you shall die and that a bad death brings eternal misery. Therefore, be more concerned with keeping yourselves in the state of grace in order to meet death than with anything else."- St John Bosco

Gospel Text: (MT 24:42-51)
Jesus said to his disciples:
“Stay awake!
For you do not know on which day your Lord will come.
Be sure of this:
if the master of the house
had known the hour of night when the thief was coming,
he would have stayed awake
and not let his house be broken into.
So too, you also must be prepared,
for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.

“Who, then, is the faithful and prudent servant,
whom the master has put in charge of his household
to distribute to them their food at the proper time?
Blessed is that servant whom his master on his arrival finds doing so.
Amen, I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property.
But if that wicked servant says to himself, ‘My master is long delayed,’
and begins to beat his fellow servants,
and eat and drink with drunkards,
the servant’s master will come on an unexpected day
and at an unknown hour and will punish him severely
and assign him a place with the hypocrites,
where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.”

A teacher asked the children in her Sunday school class, "If I sold my house
and my car, had a big garage sale and gave all my money to the church, would I get into Heaven?" "NO!" The children all answered. "If I cleaned the church every day, mowed the yard, and kept everything neat and tidy, would I get into Heaven?" Again, the answer was "NO!" "Well," the teacher continued, "then how can I get to Heaven?" In the back of the room, a 5 yr. old boy shouted out, "You gotta be dead!!!"

We all have an appointment at sometime in our life (unless Jesus returns first) with death. My question for you today is, “Are you ready?”

What are we doing to prepare for our eternal future? Jesus gives us the freedom to do what we want with our time, but all He asks is that we use it wisely.

Think about that one for a while.

A FAITHFUL person will come to church, they will want to come. They will give, they will read the word and pray, they will love other people. They will do it all because they love Jesus! WE all do what is important in our life. I find time to do what I want to do. If you love Jesus and He is a priority in your life, you will find a way to do what He wants you to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment