Thursday, July 12, 2012

“The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.”


“Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them—every day begin the task anew.” – St Francis de Sales

(Scripture text: Hos 11:1-4, 8E-9)
Thus says the LORD:
When Israel was a child I loved him,
out of Egypt I called my son.
The more I called them,
the farther they went from me,
Sacrificing to the Baals
and burning incense to idols.
Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
who took them in my arms;
I drew them with human cords,
with bands of love;
I fostered them like one
who raises an infant to his cheeks;
Yet, though I stooped to feed my child,
they did not know that I was their healer.

My heart is overwhelmed,
my pity is stirred.
I will not give vent to my blazing anger,
I will not destroy Ephraim again;
For I am God and not man,
the Holy One present among you;
I will not let the flames consume you.

Those of us who have been loved and cared for by our parents have some understanding of what it’s like to receive love from God the Father. Yet we understand even more when we ourselves become parents. Jesus invites us to reflect on this when he asks: “What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? … How much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask?” (Luke 11:11, 13).

The moment a newborn baby is placed in her parents’ arms, the couple feels overwhelming love. But as the child grows and develops his / her own priorities, parents can identify with the disappointment and frustration God expresses in today’s words from Hosea. “The more I called them, the farther they went from me.” How clear it is: what the child sees as an autocratic restriction is really a loving safeguard. And what we see as strict rules from a distant God really are boundary markers that keep us safe in his kingdom.

When a child of ours disregards our rules or advice, we may be tempted to react in anger and punish him for defying us. But in our better moments, we know the best response is to find a suitable consequence that will help teach him to make better choices. This is how God treats his people. Ever faithful, he promises to restore them as soon as they come to their senses.

Spend some time today reflecting on the way you show love to your children, your students, or anyone who depends on you. Then recall how your heavenly Father has shown you love in the past. He is not done loving you! He longs to point out the path of an even fuller life. Ask him to help you see that path more clearly. Ask him, also, to show you how he himself is willing to walk with you on that path. And if you find that you’ve been following a different path, just turn around and come back. 

Your Father is always ready to welcome you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment