Monday, July 23, 2012

Discipline weighs ounces, regret weighs tons


“The enemy is within the gates; it is with our own luxury, our own folly, our own criminality that we have to contend.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero

(Scripture Text: Psalm 50:5-6, 8-9, 16bc-17, 21+23)
R. (23b) To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"Gather my faithful ones before me,
those who have made a covenant with me by sacrifice."
And the heavens proclaim his justice;
for God himself is the judge.
R. To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you,
for your burnt offerings are before me always.
I take from your house no bullock,
no goats out of your fold."
R. To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"Why do you recite my statutes,
and profess my covenant with your mouth,
Though you hate discipline
and cast my words behind you?"
R. To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it?
Or do you think that I am like yourself?
I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes.
He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me;
and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God."
R. To the upright I will show the saving power of God.

This is the fourth time in the last three weeks the Church has read to us the words: "You hate discipline" (Ps 50:17). We live in a pleasure-seeking, play today, pay tomorrow society. So many in our society are unable to exercise discipline in the areas of sexual self-control, financial restraint, and diet. We are unable to be disciplined in taking custody of our eyes (Jb 31:1), our thoughts and fantasies (2 Cor 10:5), what our mouths say (Jas 3:5ff), and what we eat (Phil 3:19). Yet these are only symptoms of a greater hate of discipline and lack of discipline. The psalmist specifically associates the hating of discipline with casting God's words behind us (Ps 50:17).

Soldiers and athletes accept discipline. A soldier wants to please his or her commander and so avoids getting entangled in the things of the world (2 Tm 2:4). Athletes show discipline by denying themselves many things (1 Cor 9:25). Let us likewise discipline our bodies and souls and master them, for fear that we may ourselves otherwise be rejected (1 Cor 9:27).

God's victory comes to those standing on the right ground: God's ground. Many Christians have disregarded God's "no trespassing" signs and stand on the wrong ground. When they repent, get back where they belong, and stand there, they will see God's victory.

Back to Baptism. Forward to victory (see Ex 14:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment