Sunday, July 2, 2017

“There is always a choice. Always. So do not say, you had no choice. Good or bad, doing it or not, is about you, not choices. Always.”


“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” ― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Gospel Text: (MT 10:37-42)
Jesus said to his apostles:
"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me,
and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;
and whoever does not take up his cross
and follow after me is not worthy of me.
Whoever finds his life will lose it,
and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

"Whoever receives you receives me,
and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.
Whoever receives a prophet because he is a prophet
will receive a prophet's reward,
and whoever receives a righteous man
because he is a righteous man
will receive a righteous man's reward.
And whoever gives only a cup of cold water
to one of these little ones to drink
because the little one is a disciple—
amen, I say to you, he will surely not lose his reward."

Today's Gospel reading is centered on doing little things for people out of love for God. Many people wait a lifetime to do something great, overlooking what they could have accomplished by countless small deeds done in self­ sacrifice and love. The size of a loving deed is not what matters: it is measured by the motive and the sacrifice which accompanied it.


Our capacity to receive God is ruled by the exchange of this world for the next. If we are filled with this world, then there is no room for the next. But if we have emptied ourselves of this world, then God can be our life and this determines how we will serve and enjoy him in eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment