Friday, April 7, 2017

In all debates, let Truth be thy aim, not Victory.


It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832) German poet

Gospel Text: (JN 10:31-42)
The Jews picked up rocks to stone Jesus.
Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from my Father.
For which of these are you trying to stone me?"
The Jews answered him,
"We are not stoning you for a good work but for blasphemy.
You, a man, are making yourself God."
Jesus answered them,
"Is it not written in your law, 'I said, 'You are gods"'?
If it calls them gods to whom the word of God came,
and Scripture cannot be set aside,
can you say that the one
whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world
blasphemes because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?
If I do not perform my Father's works, do not believe me;
but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me,
believe the works, so that you may realize and understand
that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."
Then they tried again to arrest him;
but he escaped from their power.

He went back across the Jordan
to the place where John first baptized, and there he remained.
Many came to him and said,
"John performed no sign,
but everything John said about this man was true."
And many there began to believe in him.

When we follow Christ, we may be subjected to rejection and derision.

We live not to please others but to please God. The path to holiness and heaven is narrow, as Jesus told us, with many obstacles and challenges. But God promises help and a worthwhile everlasting reward for those who place their hearts and trust in him.


No comments:

Post a Comment