Tuesday, November 8, 2016

You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.


“I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.” ― Rabindranath Tagore: (1861 –1941: was a Bengali polymath who reshaped Bengali literature and music)

Gospel Text: (LK 17:7-10)
Jesus said to the Apostles:
“Who among you would say to your servant
who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field,
‘Come here immediately and take your place at table’?
Would he not rather say to him,
‘Prepare something for me to eat.
Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink.
You may eat and drink when I am finished’?
Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded?
So should it be with you.
When you have done all you have been commanded, say,
‘We are unprofitable servants;
we have done what we were obliged to do.’”

Today’s gospel is almost rude in its bluntness for those, like myself, who may harbor at times heroic self-opinions.  Jesus’ words are cold water splashed in my face.  Snap out of it.  I was doing only that which I was expected to do: to serve others – without regard to whether I disliked it or enjoyed it, whether I found enrichment or not.


We all are called to serve one another, even when we don’t feel like it.  It’s never a matter of feeling.  It’s a matter of calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment