Sunday, October 2, 2016

Faith can move mountains, but don’t be surprised if God hands you a shovel.


“One life is all we have and we live it as we believe in living it. But to sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying.”--St. Joan of Arc: (1412 – 1431: nicknamed "The Maid of Orléans" is considered a heroine of France for her role during the Lancastrian phase of the Hundred Years' War, and was canonized as a Roman Catholic saint)

Gospel Text: (Luke 17:5-10)
The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.”
The Lord replied,
“If you have faith the size of a mustard seed,
you would say to this mulberry tree,
‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.

“Who among you would say to your servant
who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field,
‘Come here immediately and take your place at table’?
Would he not rather say to him,
‘Prepare something for me to eat.
Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink.
You may eat and drink when I am finished’?
Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded?
So should it be with you.
When you have done all you have been commanded,
say, ‘We are unprofitable servants;
we have done what we were obliged to do.’”

The disciples asked Jesus to increase their faith. Jesus responds by speaking about a servant doing his duty. I believe what Jesus is saying is reflected in the words of Edgar Guest as found in “Doing the Gospel.”

I would rather see a sermon than to hear one any day…
I’d rather one walk with me…than merely tell the way…

The best of all the preachers are the ones who live their creeds…
For to see good put to action…is what everybody needs…

I soon can learn to do it…if you will let me see it done…
I can watch your hands in action, but your tongue, too fast may run…

And the lecture you deliver maybe very wise and true…
But I’d rather get my lessons…by observing what you do…

For I might misunderstand you…and the high advice you give…
But there’s no misunderstanding…how you act and how you live.

“And the apostles said to the Lord, ‘Increase our faith.'”


No comments:

Post a Comment