Wednesday, November 25, 2015

“Whatever troubles may be before you, accept them bravely, remembering whom you are trying to follow”



“Do not let your heart become troubled by the sad spectacle of human injustice. Even this has its value in the face of all else. And it is from this that one day you will see the justice of God rising with unfailing triumph.” - St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina: (1887 – 1968: Known as Padre Pio — was a friar, priest, & stigmatist)
Gospel Text: (Lk 21:12-19)
Jesus said to the crowd:
“They will seize and persecute you,
they will hand you over to the synagogues and to prisons,
and they will have you led before kings and governors
because of my name.
It will lead to your giving testimony.
Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand,
for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking
that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute.
You will even be handed over by parents,
brothers, relatives, and friends,
and they will put some of you to death.
You will be hated by all because of my name,
but not a hair on your head will be destroyed.
By your perseverance you will secure your lives.”
Jesus tells us we can not escape from life, but must enter into it. Disciples can not be by-standers to life.  When Christians enter into life it takes on meaning. By entering into suffering that is often found in day to day living, freedom can be found if we allow the suffering to transform us. 
Scriptures tells us: “I will bring the one third through the fire; I will refine them as one refines silver, and I will test them as one tests gold. They will call upon my name, and I will answer them; I will say, “They are my people,” and they will say, “The LORD is my God.” (Zechariah 13:9)

Victor Frankel, a survivor of the holocaust, said: “A life without meaning is not a life.  To live we must choose. To love we must encounter.  To grow we must suffer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment