Wednesday, June 10, 2015

“No law made by man can override the norm written by the Creator without society becoming dramatically wounded in what constitutes its basic foundation."


“Every person has free choice. Free to obey or disobey the Natural Laws. Your choice determines the consequences. Nobody ever did, or ever will, escape the consequences of his choices.”

Gospel Text: (MT 5:17-19)
Jesus said to his disciples:
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets.
I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.
Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away,
not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter
will pass from the law,
until all things have taken place.
Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments
and teaches others to do so
will be called least in the Kingdom of heaven.
But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments
will be called greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.”

The law Christ is talking about is the Ten Commandments. We need to keep in mind that the Commandments are based in natural law and will never be abolished thus transcending time.

Speaking personally, the commandments are not a set of negative rules, but a set of truths to live by. A few decades ago (yes I’m getting old); I made a commitment to my faith and began my walk with the Lord. Through that time I’ve found that when living by the commandments, my relationship with God and others just seemed to go better. Luckily for me Christ came to fulfill the law and I’m only here to do the best I can. Only with His grace and my response to that grace is it possible to live as Jesus asked us to. This is why I can not overstate the importance of the Sacraments (the Eucharist & Reconciliation), which elevate human nature and are channels of God’s grace. Jesus said that “unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life within you.”(Jn: 6:51) How does that translate? Simple, there is absolutely no way that you can live the life that Jesus asked us to live without God’s grace. Impossible!

A good analogy to illustrate this is the following. God’s grace is constantly “raining” down on us, but we sometime put up an “umbrella”. The “umbrella’ is our sins. What we need to do continually is go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation (I recommend once a month). By doing this, we put away our “umbrella” and God’s grace like “rain” reaches our hearts when we receive Him in the Blessed Sacrament.

The Sacraments of Holy Communion and Reconciliation go together. If we receive Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and do not go to Confession, God’s grace will not reach us. However, when we go to Confession with a priest frequently and receive Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament something amazing happens - We change. Believe it!

This my friends is the only way we can live as Jesus asked us to and in turn to follow his commandments because as Jesus himself said,” If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” (Jn 15:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment