Monday, November 10, 2014

“When our pride usurps Truth, we walk on the shifting sands”


Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church is often labeled today as fundamentalism. Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along by every wind of teaching, looks like the only attitude acceptable to today's standards.” - Pope Benedict XVI

Gospel Text: (LK 17:1-6)
Jesus said to his disciples,
“Things that cause sin will inevitably occur,
but woe to the one through whom they occur.
It would be better for him if a millstone were put around his neck
and he be thrown into the sea
than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin.
Be on your guard!
If your brother sins, rebuke him;
and if he repents, forgive him.
And if he wrongs you seven times in one day
and returns to you seven times saying, ‘I am sorry,’
you should forgive him.”

And the Apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.”
The Lord replied, “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed,
you would say to this mulberry tree,
‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.”

Imagine picking your car up from the shop after a routine tune-up and the technician says, "This car is in great shape. Clearly you have an automotive genius to take great care of your car." Later that day, your brakes don't work. You find out you were out of brake fluid. You could have died.
You go back to the shop, and you say, "Why didn't you tell me?" The technician replies, "Well, I didn't want you to feel bad. Plus, to be honest, I was afraid you might get upset with me. I want this to be a safe place where you feel loved and accepted." You'd be furious! You'd say, "I didn't come here for a little fantasy-based ego boost! When it comes to my car, I want the truth."

Or imagine going to the doctor's office for a check-up. The doctor says to you, "You are a magnificent physical specimen. You have the body of an Olympian. You are to be congratulated." Later that day while climbing the stairs, your heart gives out. You find out later your arteries were so clogged that you were like one jelly doughnut away from the grim reaper. You go back to the doctor and say, "Why didn't you tell me?" The doctor says, "Well, I knew your body is in worse shape than the Pillsbury doughboy, but if I tell people stuff like that, they get kind of offended. It's kind of bad for business. They don't come back. I want this to be a safe place where you feel loved and accepted." You'd be furious! You'd say to the doctor, "When it comes to my body, I want the truth!"

I think we would all agree with the analogies of the auto mechanic and the doctor I presented above. Now for the big question: Why is the world’s response not the same when the Catholic Church speaks the truth to it? Would we prefer to be lied too? Do we just want to feel “comfortable” with our lives as they are and not think about any possibility of changing for the better? Do we choose not to hear thinking that somehow these enteral Truths do not apply to “me”?



Many people today say that Catholics most specifically the Pope is not realistic when it comes to the many social issues we see addressed in our daily news by our elected officials. As with all things, we are entitled to our opinion but think about this for a moment; maybe its not that the Catholic Church’s teachings on faith and morals are unrealistic it’s the fact that the Catholic Church is too realistic and we prefer to be lied too. Think about it…………….

No comments:

Post a Comment