Tuesday, May 13, 2014

In silence and quiet the devout soul advances in virtue and learns the hidden truths of Scripture.


“I can see thanks to the sun light, but if I close my eyes, I cannot see; but this is not the fault of the sun, but mine.” – St Thomas Aquinas

Gospel Text: (JN 10:22-30)
The feast of the Dedication was taking place in Jerusalem.
It was winter.
And Jesus walked about in the temple area on the Portico of Solomon.
So the Jews gathered around him and said to him,
“How long are you going to keep us in suspense?
If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
Jesus answered them, “I told you and you do not believe.
The works I do in my Father’s name testify to me.
But you do not believe, because you are not among my sheep.
My sheep hear my voice;
I know them, and they follow me.
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish.
No one can take them out of my hand.
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all,
and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.
The Father and I are one.”

“How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” (John 10:24). How often do we ask God questions similar to this? We can often fall into agony and even desperation in wanting to know God’s will for our lives, an important decision or even just everyday events. We can also fall into the trap of thinking, you are omnipotent, you are God, please just tell me, just clearly tell me what Your will is and I will do it. Jesus’ response takes us aback when he says, “I told you and you do not believe.” You may find yourself, like myself, thinking, Jesus what have you told me? What have I not believed?

I heard a priest give a homily once asking people to think about how many times they read the newspaper or watched the news in the last week. Then he asked them to think about how many times they read the Word of God. What is going to impact your life more: the news from the media or the Good News of our Lord? Stated quite simply, how can we hear God’s voice if we don’t read His word, spend time in silence with Him daily, and know Him in order to “know His voice”?

Jesus knows his sheep and his sheep hear his voice. Faith allows us to connect with Jesus through prayer. What else is a prayer but a way to communicate with Jesus Christ, who loves us and takes us to the Father? The outcome and reward of this intimacy with Jesus in this life is true peace and joy. Isn’t that what everyone is looking for in the first place? Maybe its time to try something new, what do you have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment