Sunday, January 19, 2014

"Compassion for the mother is extremely important, but is never served through destroying the innocent."


“If the bringing of children into the world is today an economic burden, it is because the social system is inadequate; and not because God’s law is wrong. Therefore the State should remove the causes of that burden. The human must not be limited and controlled to fit the economic, but the economic must be expanded to fit the human.” – Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Scripture Text: (IS 49:3, 5-6)
The LORD said to me: You are my servant,
Israel, through whom I show my glory.
Now the LORD has spoken
who formed me as his servant from the womb,
that Jacob may be brought back to him
and Israel gathered to him;
and I am made glorious in the sight of the LORD,
and my God is now my strength!
It is too little, the LORD says, for you to be my servant,
to raise up the tribes of Jacob,
and restore the survivors of Israel;
I will make you a light to the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.

Isn’t it amazing how we can read so much into what we see with our physical eyes? This happens when an accountant reads a company’s balance sheet, when a doctor reads the results of a blood test, or when a father sees a confused look on his teenager’s face. Just as a doctor has been trained to know what to look for, so our minds can be formed to recognize spiritual realities. The saints are able to recognize Jesus in large part because they are committed to God and eager to do his will. Their hearts are soft, and their minds are alert. We must be willing to do the same. The key word here is “willing”.

This week is the 41st anniversary of the infamous decisions of the US Supreme Court in the Roe and Doe opinions. Those decisions removed the protection given to our youngest neighbors in the womb and denied them their fundamental human right to life by the stroke of a judicial pen. Almost 57 million children are dead as a result of our National sin.


God continues His work through you and me as we learn the way of surrendered love and choose to do His will. As much as it was not His Will for our Nation to become a destroyer of our children, it is His Will that we work to restore the protections which must be given to every human life, at every age and stage of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment