Wednesday, July 3, 2013

“To get the answers of life, ask questions”


When you encounter difficulties and contradictions, do not try to break them, but bend them with gentleness and time. - Saint Francis de Sales

Gospel Text: (JN 20:24-29)
Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve,
was not with them when Jesus came.
So the other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”
But Thomas said to them,
“Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands
and put my finger into the nailmarks
and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
Now a week later his disciples were again inside
and Thomas was with them.
Jesus came, although the doors were locked,
and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.”
Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands,
and bring your hand and put it into my side,
and do not be unbelieving, but believe.”
Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me?
Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.”

A healthy skepticism urges us to wonder and to question. This skepticism helps us explore who we really are and what we truly believe. By asking questions we can be open to the Truth, with a capital “T”. Additionally, we can abandon what we perceive to be certainty and open ourselves up to endless possibilities. This is faith.

Jesus is so very kind to Thomas. Jesus welcomes the doubt and supports Thomas in learning what he needs to learn to believe. What a model for great leadership. A good leader has nothing to hide and is comfortable with the questions and the challenges that come from others. Jesus models patience and understanding here in today’s gospel for us all

Jesus reminds us as well “blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.” I pray for insight to question my actions and intentions. I pray for courage to speak up when I have questions about the actions of my colleagues, friends and family. I pray this imperfect person, who I am and always will be, can continue to strive to serve the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment