Thursday, March 21, 2013

“Faith does not eliminate questions. But faith knows where to take them.”


“Do you really know the living Jesus, not from books but from being with Him in your heart? Ask for the grace. Our Lord longs to give it.”  – Mother Teresa

(Gospel Text: Jn 8:51-59)
Jesus said to the Jews:
“Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever keeps my word will never see death.” 
So the Jews said to him,
“Now we are sure that you are possessed.
Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say,
‘Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.’
Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? 
Or the prophets, who died?
Who do you make yourself out to be?” 
Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing;
but it is my Father who glorifies me,
of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’
You do not know him, but I know him.
And if I should say that I do not know him,
I would be like you a liar.
But I do know him and I keep his word. 
Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day;
he saw it and was glad.” 
So the Jews said to him,
“You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?”
Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you,
before Abraham came to be, I AM.”
So they picked up stones to throw at him;
but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.

Whether it’s forgotten birthdays, straying pens, or faces we can’t place, it’s annoying to lose track of the little things. Forgetfulness becomes downright tragic, most especially when we lose sight of the big picture—what life is all about. This is why Psalm 105 is so insistent in its call to remember and praise God for his “wondrous deeds.”

This is perfect encouragement as we head toward our Holy Week celebration of the most wondrous deeds ever. So here is a suggestion for taking on the kind of remembering that leads to gratitude, joy, and transformation: take God’s “wondrous deeds” personally.

As Catholics, we believe that at every Mass the priest consecrates the Eucharist on the alter and makes Jesus Christ truly present to us. The question then is: are we present to him?

This Holy Week and Easter, take the story personally. Enter into the reality of the Last Supper, the Passover meal where Jesus provides a way to remember and receive him. He did this for me. Watch with Jesus in the garden, where he suffers so intensely as he awaits his betrayer. He did this for me. See him dragged before the high priest, Herod, Pilate, the jeering crowd. He did this for me. Walk to Calvary, stand at the cross, mourn with Mary. And know, at every step of the way: he did this for me.

This is how much he loves me – This is how much he loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment