Thursday, May 3, 2012

“The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it”

"Christ said, “I am the Truth”; he did not say “I am the custom." -St. Toribio

Gospel Text (Jn 14:6-14)
Jesus said to Thomas, "I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.
If you know me, then you will also know my Father.
From now on you do know him and have seen him."
Philip said to him,
"Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us."
Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you for so long a time
and you still do not know me, Philip?
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?
The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own.
The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me,
or else, believe because of the works themselves.
Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever believes in me will do the works that I do,
and will do greater ones than these,
because I am going to the Father.
And whatever you ask in my name, I will do,
so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it."

The apostle Philip lived, ate, drank, slept, and traveled with Jesus. After three years, Jesus had to conclude that Philip still did not know Him (Jn 14:9). Philip was weak in faith. Yet in his weakness, God's power reached perfection (2 Cor 12:9) in Philip’s life as time went on. What about you?

Faith is confidence, assurance, and conviction (Heb 11:1). Faith is a result of a good relationship. Therefore, faith can increase or decrease frequently because all relationships continually deepen or lessen. Consequently, we need to maximize our communication with the Lord so as to deepen our relationship with Him, thereby strengthening our faith. We need the Scriptures (Rm 10:17), Christian community, the breaking of the bread at Holy Mass (the Eucharist), frequent use of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, prayers (Acts 2:42), and a committed daily prayer life. Like all living things, your relationship with the Lord either grows or dies. That is entirely up to you!

We all are a little like Philip. The Lord calls us not only to keep the faith but to increase the faith. He wants us to break new ground in faith and by faith to move mountains, which we have never moved before.

Carpe Diem - Seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment