Saturday, February 11, 2012

ADOPT A FAMILY PROJECT IN CALCUTTA

One month ago I sent out a request soliciting funds to adopt families in Calcutta, India. To be frank with you, the response from the Oh….Francesco readers was overwhelming. For that I thank you from the bottom of my heart. God will surely bless you for your generosity!

Yesterday in consulting with the priest in India, Father Medi feels that if we help select families, due to the limited resources, we would have to exclude others. By doing this discord and jealousy would be created among the people he serves. So instead we have another idea. We are going to build a new church and community hall for everyone in the village. This sounds like an “impossible” task especially since I am not a “money guy”, never was. With that being said, I believe in God and in God all things are possible and because of that, this task will be accomplished. Our Blessed Mother will guide this work of love from start to finish. Believe it!!!

These days people always say they are looking for a charity that they know where the money they donate goes. Where there are no overhead costs, no big executive salaries, and no corporate non-sense to deal with. Well, here it is!

If you decide to participate in this work of love and send donations, you will be in direct contact with India yourself. I am enclosing Father Medi’s contact information. Please email him and ask any questions you may have. As for sending funds, they will go from your hand directly to his. Remember, US dollars go a long way in India. Currently, the conversion rate is around 50 to 1.

medisvdine@gmail.com

Pastor: Father Medard Tirkey
Catholic Church Prem Nagar
11/13 Puratan Sahir Lane
P.O: Santragachi, Howrah-711 104
India

My life’s experience has been very unique in that God has called me to walk among some of the world’s poorest people in many different places, both in the United States and around the world. I have seen extreme poverty first hand in India, Haiti, Cambodia, Vietnam, South Africa not to mention the Bronx and Newark, New Jersey. This exposure to Our Lord’s most neediest people has taught me many things. Most especially it has revealed to me a great responsibility that all people of faith and good will have, whether they realize it or not.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. (Luke 12:48)

God did not give us a “good life” here in the United States in order for us to horde it from others. He gave to some more, so those with means, can then help those without. This is a fundamental truth, which spans across all religions and beliefs!!

This my dear friends is how we all will be judged by God when we stand before him.

When I was hungry…Did you give me to eat?

When I was thirsty…Did you give me to drink?

When I was naked…Did you cloth me?

Scripture in the 25th chapter of Mathew (MT 25: 31-46) puts is very clearly how Our Lord will separate the “sheep from the goats.”

So I implore your generosity. Be apart of something bigger then yourself. If you can not donate money, just say a small prayer for this work of love in your own words.

Lastly, to conclude this appeal, remember the words of Mother Teresa when she was asked how she started her first center in Calcutta that served the dying who lay in the street. She went on to tell this reporter who asked her, “If I did not pick up the first man from the gutter myself, thousands upon thousands would not have been picked up afterwards by others.”

It all starts with a choice and a step……make the choice and take the step!

God Bless You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment