Sunday, May 29, 2011

"Once you depart from the Ten Commandments as being the foundation of right and wrong, you are in a free fall."

“The Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount contain my religion” - John Adams (2nd US President (1797-1801)

Gospel text (Jn 14,15-21):
Jesus said to his disciples:
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
And I will ask the Father,
and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always,
the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept,
because it neither sees nor knows him.
But you know him, because he remains with you,
and will be in you.
I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
In a little while the world will no longer see me,
but you will see me, because I live and you will live.
On that day you will realize that I am in my Father
and you are in me and I in you.
Whoever has my commandments and observes them
is the one who loves me.
And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father,
and I will love him and reveal myself to him.”

We understand today's Gospel reading very well when we know that a Christian isn't a man who strives to follow devoted practices or precepts as, if one loves, it comes naturally to live as Jesus has indicated.

Rediscovering our own Baptism, through the guidance of the Spirit of truth, means therefore to search to know Christ's life better every day through reading the Scriptures, prayer, receiving the sacraments, and contributing to life within our community and then it will be easier to fall in love with Him!

From what has been proposed so far, there is nothing that emerges that anyone can say prohibits us from living a 'life' that is real, not even the fact that we can not yet see Jesus in the flesh.

It is then that we can finally understand St John's Gospel: 'Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more, but you will see me'. (Jn 14:19) The alternative between 'you' and the 'world' doesn't correspond to a moral or ethnic division but an alternative that dwells in the heart of every one of us!

If we, therefore, follow the world and its mentality, we will never see the Risen One. However, if we start to trust ourselves to the Church, our mother, to listen to that what she suggests and teaches us, then we will discover that in truth one can see the Lord.
We will discover that He has an exceptional, Real Presence that we will find fascinating and irresistible because He is the only true motor for the 'Christian life.'

No comments:

Post a Comment