Thursday, April 7, 2011

“You can get to the contemplation of Christ's face only by listening”

«That Christ you see, is not Jesus. —It will be, in any case, the sad image your blurred eyes may form... —Purify yourself. Clarify your look with humility and penance. Afterwards... you won't be lacking the clear lights of Love. And you will have a perfect vision. Your image will really be: Him!». – St. Josemaria Escriva

Gospel text (Jn 5,31-47): Jesus said to the Jews:
“If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is not true.
But there is another who testifies on my behalf,
and I know that the testimony he gives on my behalf is true.
You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth.
I do not accept human testimony,
but I say this so that you may be saved.
He was a burning and shining lamp,
and for a while you were content to rejoice in his light.
But I have testimony greater than John’s.
The works that the Father gave me to accomplish,
these works that I perform testify on my behalf
that the Father has sent me.
Moreover, the Father who sent me has testified on my behalf.
But you have never heard his voice nor seen his form,
and you do not have his word remaining in you,
because you do not believe in the one whom he has sent.
You search the Scriptures,
because you think you have eternal life through them;
even they testify on my behalf.
But you do not want to come to me to have life.

“I do not accept human praise;
moreover, I know that you do not have the love of God in you.
I came in the name of my Father,
but you do not accept me;
yet if another comes in his own name,
you will accept him.
How can you believe, when you accept praise from one another
and do not seek the praise that comes from the only God?
Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father:
the one who will accuse you is Moses,
in whom you have placed your hope.
For if you had believed Moses,
you would have believed me,
because he wrote about me.
But if you do not believe his writings,
how will you believe my words?”

There is a tendency in our society to not believe in what we cannot see. If something is not right there in front of us, society has taught us to believe that it isn’t real. We as Christians must be cautious of this idea. Many non-believers tend to use this argument against us in questioning us on how we could believe in something that we cannot see, touch, or hear. It is a difficult task for us to believe in the divine, but it is not impossible. We can take the small hints around us like the beauty of Mother Nature and use them to help us believe in the Lord. While these hints can help us believe more, they are not enough to fully convince ourselves. We must have the courage and strength to take a leap of faith.

The leap of faith we take is not easy. We put our total trust and faith into the unknown. We must trust in what we cannot see to be our guidance towards everlasting life. Once we’ve taken this leap of faith we should never look back. Continue on at full force and don’t ever let another being convince you that you’ve made a mistake. God is all-loving and he rewards those who take a chance on him and believe with all their hearts. Let us trust in him and ourselves and we will receive everlasting life.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment